Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn emerged from the ashes of its ill-fated first iteration in 2014. Since then, the MMO’s popularity has exploded thanks to several wildly popular expansions, including its latest Endwalker. If you somehow thought Square was going to slow down after eight years, you’d be dead wrong. In a recent Producer Live presentation, the publisher discussed its plans to support the game over the next decade.
It all started with the April 6.1 patch. It will expand the game’s trust system, allowing players to experience the functionality of certain main scenario dungeons with NPC allies (thus eliminating the need to team up with real players), especially for all major dungeons in A Realm Reborn. This means that those who want to venture out on their own will have more opportunities to do so. Square says this will expand to more dungeons at a later date.
Square also confirmed that the game’s first graphics update is currently underway. These improvements include higher resolution textures, better lighting/shadowing effects, and improved material quality. Square aims to release this graphic revamp with the next expansion pack.
Free trial registrations have also reopened after Square temporarily suspended free trial registrations during the launch of Endwalker to ease server congestion. This has also been expanded to include everything from A Realm Reborn and Heavensward. The free trial also allows access to the Au Ra race and three additional jobs: The Dark Knight, Astrologer, and Mechanic.
Finally, Square has rolled out a partial roadmap of what’s new in the upcoming patch. The publisher emphasizes that there is a lot of unannounced content coming soon, so don’t take this list as everything that Final Fantasy XIV supports.
Patch 6.1 series
- New Main Scenario Questline – Patches 6.1 – 6.5
- “Somehow Further Hildibrand Adventures” – Patches 6.1 – 6.5
- “Tataru’s Great Endeavour” Sidequest Series – Patches 6.1 – 6.5
- Kingdom Myth #1 (Alliance Raid)
- Crystal Clash (New PvP)
- Arkasodara clan quests and daily quests
- Dragonsong’s Reprise (New Ultimate Duty)
- Ultimate Calamity (Unreal)
- A Realm Reborn (Patch 2.0) Trust Support for Main Scenario Dungeons
- New calling card UI (name pending)
- Hrothgar’s new hairstyle
- Empyreum (Ishgard Residence)
- Custom Delivery: Ameliance
- Also, new trials and various other updates…
Patch 6.2 series
- Rebirth 2.X main scene dungeon trust support
- Trust supports 2-3 Heavensward™ main scene dungeons
- New weapon enhancements
- New “standard” dungeons with variable difficulty (for 1-4 players)
- ‘Island Sanctuary’ debuts
- Plus Pandæmonium, Faux Hollows, other experiments, and more…
Patch 6.3 series
- Remaining Tiandao mainline copy trust system
- Dungeon Series #3
- Ultimate Duty #5
- Island Reserve Update
- Plus kingdom myths, artificial hollows, other trials, and more…
Patch 6.4 and Patch 6.5 series
- Stormblood™ main scenario dungeon trust system
- “Standard” Dungeons #2 and #3
- Additional Areas for Island Conservation Areas
- Plus conclusions on Pandæmonium, further myths of the realm, artificial hollows, other experiments, and more…
- We are planning more patches 6.4 and 6.5!
This should be welcome news for Final Fantasy XIV players new and old, as the Endwalker expansion pack has fans more excited than ever about the future of MMOs. To learn more about Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker, be sure to check out our review.