Voting has been counted and the winner has been announced. Resident Evil Village defeated Wallheim, New World, Cyberpunk 2077 and Forza Horizon 5 and won the title of Game of the Year. Steam Awards 2021.
Resident Evil Village is of course a game with Mrs. Dimitrescu, and Dimitrescu is what we hope to see more tall vampires in the future. We like it very much, calling it “a very beautiful collection of killer horror films, with some of the most memorable weird enemies in Resi’s history” in 85% of our reviews-maybe not the best game of the year, But if these things are consistent, what fun is there?
(For the record, PC Gamer chose Valheim as its game of the year, as well as various other categories that you can learn more about here.)
The Game of the Year is the most important, but I think the other categories and winners of this year’s Steam Awards are actually more interesting. Taking VR as an example, “Sniper Elite VR”, “Medal of Honor: Beyond 2”, “I Expect You to Die 2” and Blair Witch VR version-the main video game from top to bottom-were all defeated by Cooking Simulator VR . Surprisingly, it needs to beat the big release twice, including Back 4 Blood and Halo Infinite for the Better With Friends category, and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy won the best with its heavily licensed “80s All-Star Soundtrack” Soundtrack laurels.
Cyberpunk 2077 also came home with some hardware: CD Projekt’s troubled futuristic RPG won the Outstanding Story Rich Game Award after failing to win in any category in the 2021 Game Awards it was nominated for. Farming Simulator 22 also won the championship as the best Sit Back and Relax game this year.
Unlike some other congratulatory events (including game awards), the nomination and award of Steam awards are entirely based on user votes. The nominee does not have to be a 2021 release: for example, “Cyberpunk 2077” came out in 2020, and the entire “Labor of Love” category is dedicated to games that have been around for a while.
All 2021 Steam Award winners are now Steam Winter Sale, This will end soon: January 5th at 10 am Pacific Time / 1 pm Eastern Time. The full list of winners is as follows.
- Game of the Year: Resident Evil Village (Walheim, New World, Cyberpunk 2077, Forza Horizon 5)
- VR Game of the Year: Cooking Simulator VR (Sniper Elite VR, Medal of Honor: Beyond, I look forward to your death 2, Blair Witch VR version)
- Labor of Love: Terraria (Dota 2, Rust, No Man’s Sky, Apex Legends)
- Better with friends: need two (Walheim, back 4 blood, unlimited halo, crab game)
- Outstanding visual style: Forza Horizon n 5 (Mental patient 2. Under the sea: below zero, small nightmare 2. Bright memory: infinite)
- The most innovative gameplay: Deathloop (Inscryption, Twelve Minutes, Moncage, Loop Hero)
- The most fun game: Nioh 2-full version (World War II: Aftermath, Naraka Bladepoint, Age of Empires 4, Battlefield 2042)
- Best soundtrack: Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy (Nier Replicant, Persona 5 Forward, Guilty Gear Strive, Demon Slayer-Kimetsu no Yaiba-The Hinokami Chronicles)
- Outstanding Story Rich Game: Cyberpunk 2077 (Life is Strange: True Colors, Resident Evil Village, Dead Days, Mass Effect Legend Edition)
- Sit back and relax: Agriculture Simulator 22 (Unpacking, Potions Craft, City View, Dorf Romantik)